Carlos Ghosn, for a 2nd Time, Is Released From Jail After Posting Bail


TOKYO — Carlos Ghosn, the former automotive executive charged with financial wrongdoing, was released from a Tokyo jail on Thursday evening after posting a multimillion-dollar bond for the second time in two months.

A district court judge ruled earlier in the day that the former head of the Nissan-Renault-Mitsubishi alliance could leave the detention center, and Mr. Ghosn’s lawyer quickly paid a 500 million yen, or $4.68 million, bond.

The prosecutor’s office, which has repeatedly fought Mr. Ghosn’s release, attempted to appeal the ruling, but the judge refused its argument that Mr. Ghosn could tamper with evidence or witnesses if set free.

Mr. Ghosn, wearing a dark suit, walked out of the detention center shortly before 10:30 p.m., flanked by police officers, and got into a black van. He was accompanied by his lawyer, Takashi Takano.

The scene was a stark contrast to Mr. Ghosn’s previous release, in March, when his lawyers tried to sneak him out of the detention center in a construction worker’s uniform, creating a media uproar.

The conditions of Mr. Ghosn’s release are largely the same as before: He must live in his Tokyo apartment, cannot travel abroad and is not allowed to have contact with people related to the investigation.

However, there is one major difference: Mr. Ghosn will not be allowed to meet with his wife, Carole, without first applying for permission from the court, Japanese news reports said.

In a statement, Mr. Ghosn said: “Restricting communications and contact between my wife and me is cruel and unnecessary. We love each other very much, she answered all of the prosecutors’ questions in court, and she has done nothing wrong.”

He added: “I maintain my innocence and am committed to vigorously defending myself against these meritless and unsubstantiated accusations. I hope to be given a fair trial where the truth will come to light and I will be fully vindicated.”

Mr. Ghosn’s lawyers requested bail on Monday after Japanese prosecutors charged him with using a series of corporations linked to Nissan to transfer $5 million to a company he controlled. Japanese news reports said that company, which is registered in Lebanon, sent money to two other companies controlled by his wife and his son, Anthony.

Neither Mrs. Ghosn nor Anthony Ghosn has been charged with any wrongdoing. However, Mrs. Ghosn appeared in a Tokyo court in mid-April to answer questions about her husband’s case.

Mr. Ghosn was first arrested in November on suspicion of underreporting his income to regulatory authorities in Japan. During his more than 100 days of detention, he was charged with three counts of financial wrongdoing. He was released in March after posting a $9 million bond and agreeing to have his Tokyo apartment monitored with security cameras. But he was rearrested in an early morning raid on April 4, with agents taking evidence, including Mrs. Ghosn’s phones and passport. He now faces four separate indictments, including two charges of aggravated breach of trust.

Mr. Ghosn’s case has triggered debate about Japan’s justice system, where defendants routinely are questioned by prosecutors with no legal counsel.

Mr. Ghosn’s family has said it believes the repeated arrests are a tactic by prosecutors to try to coerce a confession from Mr. Ghosn. Japanese courts have a conviction rate close to 100 percent, and defendants in the majority of cases confess to their crimes, sometimes under duress from prosecutors.



Sahred From Source link Business

Deixe uma resposta

O seu endereço de e-mail não será publicado. Campos obrigatórios são marcados com *